Saturday, October 17, 2015

2015 Cycling 4 Veterans

It's the one-year anniversary of my broken ribs crash at Foxy's Fall Century. Haven't done a full century since then.  Wasn't planning on this ride either but my neighbor Laura said her son wanted to do another organized ride with me so we signed up for this one.  Also, Racer Rick was one of the organizers so it was nice to help him out for a good show on the inaugural event.


AND - just glued on my sew-ups so I figured it would be a fun ride on my vintage Eddy Merckx.













Nice organization, nice route, nice cause.  It was a little windy but not at all bad for the Livermore area.  We did feel a few raindrops.




We got a little bit of a late start due to a registration issue, so for a while, we were the last riders on the course.  We met support rider Mike who was kind of sweeping the course along with the SAG vehicle.  Mike had a custom Steve Rex; he and I swapped stories about riding in the good old days when steel bikes and sew-ups were the norm.

 


Vladi did great - I coached him a little on pacing, and straightened out some misconceptions he had about gearing, and he put out a good effort.



 No veggie options for the post-ride lunch, but I got some chips and salsa.  There was a band and some other festival-type activities going on but we didn't stick around.

I talked to the guy who owns this business - he had a pretty cool setup.

Cycling 4 Veterans (Enhanced) from Diablo Scott on Vimeo.

No comments: