Wednesday, August 22, 2012

2012 WNR 15

Weather tonight:  kind of cool and a little windy.


Sunset was about 19:30, time to start thinking about earlier start times.



I hope I never get whatever condition that ankle-to-knee stockings are the treatment for.

STRAVA update:


I've spent some time recently becoming the Official Strava Road Bike Segment Creator for Mount Diablo.  There were of course, tons of bogus segments already on there.  Some of them were all right, some of them had non-descriptive names, some of them had really strange end points, and none of them were standardized in any way... that's where I come in.  First of all, each segment name begins with the letter Д, which is the Cyrillic character D, pronounced "deh"... rhymes with "meh" (Russian word for Diablo is дьявол, pronounced "dyavol") ... this little brand makes it easy to find the Official Diablo Scott Strava Segments and to distinguish them from the unofficial bogus segments that pop up when you upload your ride.

This was a fun project, partly because you can't create a segment out of someone else's ride, so I actually had to ride all of these over the last couple weeks.  Also, I didn't include the Diablo Time Trial or the Diablo Challenge because those two routes do have pretty good segments already defined and identified, and I don't have any claim to official status on them anyway.

I think Strava-using blog-readers will enjoy these segments and appreciate the sensible end points.  If you go looking for me in any of the leaderboards though, you'll probably wear out your "page down" key.  I don't think I get any special Strava karma for doing this, and I'm really not out to pad my "followers" count, and I don't want to follow a bunch of people I don't know; but I would enjoy seeing my segments become the standards everybody uses, so thanks for spreading the word.

Here is the segment page, and all the names are listed below.

Д Mt. Diablo Descent: Junction to North Gate*

Д Mt. Diablo Descent: Junction to South Gate Tire Poppers

Д Mt. Diablo Descent: Summit to North Gate

Д Mt. Diablo Descent: Summit to South Gate Tire Poppers

Д Mt. Diablo NGR: Split 1 - Prologue (Mile 0.0 - 1.6)

Д Mt. Diablo NGR: Split 2 - Penny Lane (Mile 1.6 - 2.6)

Д Mt. Diablo NGR: Split 3 - The Bump (Mile 2.6 - 3.6)

Д Mt. Diablo NGR: Split 4 - The Washout (Mile 3.6 - 4.6)

Д Mt. Diablo NGR: Split 5 - The Ranches (Mile 4.6 - 5.6)

Д Mt. Diablo NGR: Split 6 - Chainbuster (Mile 5.6 - 6.6)

Д Mt. Diablo NGR: North Gate to Junction

Д Mt. Diablo SGR: Kiosk to Junction

Д Mt. Diablo SGR: Tire Poppers to Junction

Д Mt. Diablo SGR: Tire Poppers to Kiosk

Д Mt. Diablo Summit Road: Junction to Summit

Д Mt. Diablo Summit Road: Junction to Juniper

Д Mt. Diablo Summit Road: Juniper to Summit Lower Parking Lot

Д Mt. Diablo Summit Road: Summit Wall

Д Mt. Diablo: North Gate to Summit

Д Mt. Diablo: South Gate Tire Poppers to Summit

*Actually a couple of the "descent" segments are marked as private so you won't see them... some kind of Strava bug won't allow me to make them public (there's a way to do it, it just doesn't work)... which I'll do as soon as they debug it... but don't go killing yourself for Kudos.

2 comments:

Curtis Corlew said...

What, no comments on this? That's crazy. THANKS for making order from chaos. Well done. Now i just have to get over there agin to prove how freakin' slow I am.

Diablo Scott said...

You're already on there - the leaderboard updates even though your best time was before I created the segments. Here's

Д Mt. Diablo NGR: North Gate to Junction:

Curtis Corlew Apr 01, 2012 7.8mi/h 145bpm 152W 651 51:18