Saturday, September 25, 2010

Late Start

Ready to roll and I position the bike for a tire pressup and was surprised to find I'd pushed the envelope a little too far on this tire. Not only could I see cords, the rubber was coming away from the casing. No way would this have made it through the ride today.










Now I always have an extra tire hanging in the garage. And my normal procedure is when the back tire shows cords, rotate the front tire to the back and put a new tire on the front; lots of reasons why this makes sense. But there really wasn't much life left in my front tire either. Very fortunately, earlier this week I received my order for two new tires so both front and rear wheels got new shoes and I still have one new one hanging in the garage. Wound up leaving home about a half hour late though.

Ahhhh, new rubber is always nice.


Product Review: Vittoria Open Corsa CX - best clinchers in the universe.
Half an hour late and I'm about a mile from home and I feel the tell-tale thumping, periodic with wheel rotation that says "pinched tube". Stopped to inspect and yup, little bead bulge on the front. Let out the air, massaged the tire, burned a CO2 cart, and was back on my way... now 45 minutes late.
Things started to look better near the dips.


Roadkill Report: rat at the bottom of the Bump.

Roadkill Report: baby rattlesnake. The bees were all over this poor guy - made me wonder if they had killed him. Not sure why bees like blood but there was another identical scene a couple miles up.

Rest of the ride was nice enough. Lots of people at the Junction but I didn't know any of them.
Product Review: Camelback Podium Bottle. The selling point of this thing is that there's no bite valve that you have to pull - just squeeze. Must be a new kind of plastic too because there wasn't any of that nasty new bottle rank. After 30 years of biting the valve though, the habit wouldn't go away and there's nothing there to bite - made it kind of tricky to sort of shift your hand from the "pulling it out of the cage" position to the squeeze position. It gets a lukewarm recommendation.


No comments: