Saturday, May 22, 2010

Two Junctions

JB's been sick, which is a pretty good handicap because I stayed with him until the Junction.

Saw Peter coming down, he must have started really early.

Beautiful day, a little cold... should have been a lot more riders up there.

Brought a screwdriver to check my new cleats but my install was pretty solid, just a quarter turn on a couple of the screws to tighten 'em up.

JB went home and I went down SGR for another ascent. Even colder on the Easy Side.





Rest of the ride went well, but JB called me later and said he got hassled by a ranger on NGR. Apparently there is a new guy in town and his objective is to intimidate cyclists rather than to enforce safety. We'd also heard about a woman who was getting a speeding ticket but when she started to cry, Ranger Hasslebad let her go with a warning. Apparently he's also driving in front of descending cyclists to force them to ride the speed he wants them to. He drives a State Parks vehicle, but not a pickup. If you've had a Ranger Hasslebad experience - put it in the comments or send me an e-mail and I'll document this clown's crackpottery. It'd be great to have a photo, but until he either gets re-assigned or smartens up, ride like you're expecting to see him around every corner. And as always, keep it safe and courteous.

2 comments:

Curtis Corlew said...

I'd like to see the rangers enforce laws about cars driving on the wrong side of the road.
But Sunday, no Hasslebad. (Jezzz, if that's his real name no wonder...)

Diablo Scott said...

I just made up the name Hasslebad as a funny nickname. If someone sends me his real name I'll post it.

I did see some photos from blog reader Ward that might be the same guy... stay tuned for updates.